Eduardo Torres Acosta “Versante Nord” Rosso Sicily, Italy 2018

Eduardo Torres Acosta “Versante Nord” Rosso Sicily, Italy 2018

Regular price
Sale price
Regular price
Sold out
Unit price
Shipping calculated at checkout.

Style:  Red Wine 

Vintage: 2018

ABV: 12% 

Appellation: Mount Etna

Region:  Sicily

Country:  Italy 

Varietals:   Nerello Mascalese 85%, with other local varietals from all our vineyards comprising the remaining 15%. 

Pairing Ideas: Roasted poultry or traditional sausage are fun with this wine.  If you need Pizza that's always a winner with a meat lovers slice or supreme.  Don't judge pizza and wine is always solid option.  If you have time to dedicate during a Sunday dinner, then go find an old-school recipe for duck à l'orange for a home-cooked meal you can really look forward to. 

About: Etna’s deep-fruited, intensely volcanic terroir in every sip of this wine. Grapes are harvested from various parcels perched on the north slope “versante nord” at elevations ranging from 1,800-3,000 feet. These vineyards are planted mostly to Nerello Mascalese with a minority percentage of other ancient local grapes. This mineral blast of old-vine fruit, combined with vinification in concrete and partial stem inclusion, equals a brilliant recipe for an Etna red that deftly balances power with perfume and refinement. Eduardo bottles the wine without fining or filtration only after 16 months in a combination of old barriques and concrete tanks.

Producer Profile: Eduardo Torres Acosta, a young winemaker from the Canary Islands, first began working with vines in Tenerife where his father (a local postman) had a small plot of land.  In 2012 Eduardo moved to Sicily, where he interned at Azienda Arianna Occhipinti.  Soon after he got a job as an enologist at Passopisciaro, one of the pioneers of Etna's new wave of producers.  Eduardo eventually decided to start his own project, and despite his "outsider" status, managed to rent several fine parcels on Etna from locals.  In 2018, Eduardo was able to convert a small Etna garage into a winery but has decided to keep the wines IGT.